In this post we will learn about what makes Suwannee Hulaween so addicting, and how to cope with Post Hulaween Depression, it’s common causes, symptoms, treatment, and ways for you to keep the Hula vibe alive! Post Hula Depression is a condition that many people suffer from when we have to deal with the harsh truth that Hulaween is over, we must leave The Spirit of Suwannee Park, the next Hula is a whole year away, and to top it all off… we must return back to the monotonous humdrum of “the real world.”
If you or someone you know is suffering from Post- Hula Depression, you’re not alone. Thousands of Hulaweeners are struggling to adapt to a reality where the sound of music is not constantly flowing through the air, we can’t hug complete strangers, dress up in costumes, and explore a mystical lake with lasers and fire-shooting flowers on a daily basis…
(Photo Cred for the featured image above: Collin Taylor)
Why Is Hulaween Everyone’s Favorite Festival?
For 4 years in a row, Suwannee Hulaween has been the most anticipated event of the year for myself and my friends. This past weekend we returned to The Spirit of Suwannee Music Park to attend Hulaween 2018 and were once again blown away by the amazing production, musicians, artists, and staff that somehow raise the bar every single year. The 4 days of mind-blowing music and art flew by in a whirlwind of colors, sensations, elation, and utter bliss that left us physically exhausted and mentally drained. At the same time, our spirits were revived, and our hearts were overflowing with inspiration and gratitude…we were definitely not the only ones!
Thank you @HulaweenFL for giving me exactly what I needed. Released so much within myself and refreshed my spirit of pure contentment, inspiration and love to continue my pursuits and purpose of living.
— Sweet Plantain (@littleliz3425) October 29, 2018
@HulaweenFL has the best vibes, curates the best musical experiences, is in the most magical camping venue ever, has some of the most incredible art, & truly radiates love, acceptance, & peace. Happy to call Suwannee Hulaween home, thank you for another perfect year. ✌🏻🖤🎃
— Aron Bryce🌹⬡ (@aron_bryce) October 30, 2018
THE SPIRIT OF SUWANNEE MUSIC PARK
If you’ve never been to Suwannee Hulaween, or any music festival in general, let me take a minute to explain to you what it’s all about. This 4 day music festival is hosted by the String Cheese Incident at The Spirit of Suwannee Music Park in Live Oak Florida. It’s produced by Silver Wrapper, Purple Hat Production, and an army of staff, crew, volunteers, artists, and musicians. For more information about the venue, production, and artists, I have provided a resources section at the bottom of this article.
Besides the breath-taking venue and the talented production crew, there are two highlights of Suwannee Festival that continue to cause the festival to draw crowds of 20,000 + attendees, and sell out every year. That would be the insane line-up of musical acts, and the magical art installations, dazzling lights, and mind-bending performers that transform Spirit Lake into the most enchanting adult playground you could imagine.
SUWANNEE HULAWEEN 2018 LINEUP
THE MAGIC OF SPIRIT LAKE
IS THIS REAL LIFE!?
There is no doubt that attending Suwannee Hulaween can trigger a life-changing transformation. For many, it is an opportunity for extreme personal growth, self-awareness, and enlightenment. Here are a few reasons people become addicted to Hulaween and don’t want to leave!
Experiences and Sensations You Will Develop at Hulaween:
- A separation from your ego and release of your inhibitions.
- A break from your daily routine and decreased stress and anxiety.
- Childlike euphoria and wonderment.
- Increased appreciation for, art, music, creativity, and mother nature.
- Excessive smiling, hugging and laughing.
- A feeling of community, belonging, and acceptance.
- A deeper connection to people and the environment.
- Uncontrollable dancing and movement.
- A judgment-free environment that encourages individuality and freedom of expression.
- The chance to discover new artists, musicians, events, and musical genres.
- A chance to meet new friends, and reconnect with old ones.
Symptoms That You Are Suffering From Post Hula Depression
Unfortunately, a lot of Hulaweeners will find themselves In a depressed and gloomy state of mind, suffering from The Post Hula Blues. Here are a few tell-tale signs that you or someone you know is having withdrawals caused by a dependence or fixation on Hulaween.
Signs and Symptoms of Post Hula Withdrawals and Depression
- Obsession with looking at pictures and watching Hula videos over again.
- Inability to talk about anything except Hula.
- Refusal to take off their wristbands and unpack their gear.
- Already making plans for going to Hula next year and brainstorming costumes ideas.
- Listening to the same Hula playlists and artists over and over again, on high volume.
- Uncanny ability to hear music and beats that are barely audible, but dancing as if they were right next to the speaker.
- Extreme sleepiness and erratic sleeping patterns.
- Vivid lucid dreams.
- Laziness and Lack of energy.
- Extreme hunger and overeating.
- Dehydration, dry skin, and low levels of serotonin and other nutrients.
- Haggard appearance with traces of glitter and other mysterious elements on their body and clothing.
- Lack of interest in work and other activities, unless it involves live music or dancing.
How To Keep the Hula Vibe Alive
As we count down the days to Hulaween 2019 – we will spend countless hours planning, preparing, coordinating, creating costumes, and of course daydreaming about the magical utopia that we know will be our reality from the second we arrive until that inevitable moment when we have to pack up and leave… and then like that- those 4 days that we look forward to all year long have come and gone!
It’s all over. But it doesn’t have to be! We are all suffering from Post Hulaween depression and withdrawals, but let’s channel that energy and emotion into a positive force that will lift our spirits and carry us through those grim dreary days of normal life. Below is a list of suggestions to help you keep the magical Hula Vibe alive! Until next year my friends 🙂 Much love!!
Ways To Keep The Hula Vibe Alive
- Vote! All of the musicians and artists took time out of their sets to encourage everyone in attendance to take back control over our country and VOTE in the upcoming election. As Janelle Monae said at the end of her performance- “Vote for people who will unite us, not divide us!”
- Share your most memorable moments, and favorite photos, videos, and costumes on social media. Recruit friends who would benefit from Hulaween to attend next year.
- Help promote the venue, the production, and your favorite musicians, and artists. Like them and follow them on social media, share their events, music, and announcements on your own handles. I will provide links and resources below (coming soon.)
- Get involved, volunteer, join the street team or apply to perform or give a workshop next year. There are many ways you can contribute to this magical event.
- Decompress, let your body rest, rejuvenate, and replenish it with nourishment and hydration. Give your mind time to process the weekend.
- Detox, take vitamins and supplements, but also be sure to continue to move your body by exercising and sweating out all of those toxins!
- Stay connected by joining social media groups, forums, and communities that support live music.
- Start planning your next festival or concert, or better yet- Suwannee Hulaween 2019!
- Green your routine, think of ways you can fest better next year, improve your setup, and reduce your waste and carbon footprint.
- Be grateful, this experience is a gift that very few people will ever get the opportunity to enjoy, be appreciative, soak it in and spread the love!
- Take care of yourself, your neighbors, and those less fortunate than you.
- Show some love to all the wonderful women in your life! String Cheese Incident made it a point to celebrate the women of the galaxy and divine femininity.
RESOURCES: (COMING SOON!)
I would like to give a shout out to all of the amazing and talented people who worked so hard to make this event so special: String Cheese Incident, Silver Wrapper, Purple Hat Production, The Spirit of Suwannee Music Park, and all other event staff & crew.